10. A CULTURAL FESTIVAL IN BIGSVILLE?
Aim: To illustrate the role of
power relations in the causes of racism and intolerance
Content: Four different regions of a country
attempt to decide together if a national cultural festival
should be held in the capital and what the programme contents
Duration: One day, including
Participants: At least 16
• General information sheet ;
• Map (see illustration), distributed
to all participants;
• Guidelines for the four regional
governments A, B, C, D;
• plenary room;
• space for each group to meet
• poster paper and/or overhead
projector sheets, pens
Phase 1 (half a day)
• Introduction of the simulation
game (including timetable) and division of participants
into four groups of equal size. These groups represent the
regional governments of A, B, C and D.
• Distribution of information sheets
• Each group
elects a Chairperson
• Each group defines its own culture
(values, traditions, symbols, rules, etc) based on the description
of each region. And their imagination!
• Using posters or overhead projector
sheets, each group prepares its arguments and strategies
to support their proposals for the site and programme of
• Negotiations between the groups
are allowed after the first hour
Phase 2 (1/2 day)
• Takes place in the plenary room.
Each regional government has 5 minutes to present their
"culture" and their proposals.
• The debate begins with one representative
from each regional government allowed to speak.
• Representatives can be changed.
• The game leader prevents chaos
in the debate, but does not lead discussions.
• Proposals are put to the vote.
• Evaluation (allow at least 30
minutes for this)